All you have to know about how to get a Latvia passport
You can apply for Latvia citizenship after permanently and legally living in Latvia for 10 years. As a Latvian citizen, you may freely live, work and study in any European Union country.
What are the benefits of a Latvian passport?
European Union Citizen
By becoming a citizen of Latvia, you simultaneously acquire the citizenship of the European Union
Live anywhere in the EU
Freedom of residence in the European Union
If you get European citizenship, your children will have full access to the European education system at the same price as any other EU student.
You get a Latvian passport allowing visa-free travel to 184 countries, including the UK, USA and Canada.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
All you have to know
What is the difference between Latvian residency and citizenship?
Only citizenship gives you the right to apply for a passport and be a European Union citizen. In contrast, temporary or permanent residence provides you with the right to legally stay in Latvia only and freely travel in Schengen zone..
What procedure should I follow to be a citizen of Latvia?
You MAY BECOME a citizen of Latvia under the naturalization procedure.
Where should I apply for Latvian citizenship?
The Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) is the competent authority in Latvia, which reviews citizenship applications and makes decisions on acquiring Latvian citizenship.
What are the requirements to get Latvian citizenship?
- You should be over the age of 15;
- You have been permanently residing in Latvia for not less than the last 5 years with a permanent residence permit, and you can prove it with documents;
- You can speak Latvian language;
- You know the text of the National Anthem, the basics of the history and culture of Latvia, and the basic principles of the Constitution of the Republic of Latvia;
- You have a legal source of income.
What are the required documents?
- an application form;
- certification of the person’s permanent place of residence in Latvia for the last 5 years (for example, an employer’s statement regarding employment, a certificate from the State Social Insurance Agency, a statement from an educational institution, a document proving that the person has conducted economic or financial activities in the territory of Latvia during a specific time period, etc.);
- a document regarding a legal source of income (for example, an employment certification letter, a pension certificate, a certificate from the State Social Insurance Agency on receiving a benefit, a certificate from an educational institution on receiving a scholarship, etc.);
- one photograph (3 x 4 cm);
- a receipt confirming payment of the state fee or the state fee must be paid at OCMA;
- if the person is a citizen of another country, a non-conviction certificate (police clearance) or related alternative, issued in the country of the current citizenship must be submitted with a translation;
- if a child under the age 15 is simultaneously naturalized with the person, a document confirming the child’s permanent residence in Latvia must be submitted.
When should I take the language and knowledge tests?
Within two months after submitting the application, the person has to take the required tests.
What is the language test?
During the test of fluency in the Latvian language, the following skills are evaluated – to understand the heard texts on everyday topics; to read and understand texts on various topics; to be able to write simple texts; to talk about everyday topics.
What is the knowledge test?
During the test of knowledge of the basic principles of the Constitution of the Republic of Latvia, of the text of the Latvian National Anthem, of the basics of history and culture of Latvia, the person must:
- recite or write the National Anthem;
- answer questions about the history and culture of Latvia;
- answer questions about the basic principles of the Constitution of the Republic of Latvia.
What is the procedure for admission to citizenship?
- After passing the test, the OCMA will review your application. If you comply with the provisions of the Citizenship Law, you will be invited to pledge loyalty to the Republic of Latvia.
- You will receive a letter that guarantees Latvian citizenship, after which you must submit a document on renouncing your current citizenship.
- According to the Citizenship Law, dual citizenship may be held with another member state of NATO, the European Union and the European Free Trade Association, as well as with Australia, New Zealand and Brazil.
- The Cabinet of Ministers makes the decision on admission to the citizenship of Latvia by naturalization.
- Following the admission to the citizenship of Latvia, you will be informed and, within one month, will have to obtain an identification document of a citizen of Latvia in any regional division of the OCMA.
Does Latvia offer a citizenship program?
No. Latvia offers residency by investment option only.
Does Latvia offer Latvia citizenship by investment option?
No. Latvia offers residency by investment option only.
How can I get Latvian citizenship?
You should live in Latvia for ten years with a residence permit.
Can my family also get Latvian citizenship?
Yes, if they all meet the above requirements.
Should I live in Latvia to maintain my Latvian citizenship?
Does Latvia allow dual citizenship?
Technically yes. At the moment, dual citizenship may be held with other member state of NATO, the European Union and the European Free Trade Association, as well as with Australia, New Zealand and Brazil.
Can I buy a Latvian passport?
No. It would be a criminal act.
How long does it take for the citizenship application approval?
The Citizenship Law stipulates that the citizenship of Latvia can be obtained within one year through the naturalization process.
How hard is it to get a Latvian passport?
The procedure is nearly the same in any European country.